Quarries, Cement, Steelfixing, riggers, Carpenters, Joiners, Crane Drivers
As the nation has grown, so has the demand for infrastructure. The AWU has played a significant role in serving that need. The Victorian Branch covers about 6,000 workers on civil and mechanical projects at any given time.
Major projects such as the original building and later the strengthening of the West Gate Bridge, the South Morang Rail extension, and the building and operation of the desalination plant at Wonthaggi.
The Major Project Enterprise Agreement delivers excellent outcomes for our members, and a copy of it can be found here on our website
Some of the conditions of that EA include:
- 36 hour week from Monday to Friday
- 26 RDOs on the industry calendar
- Incolink portable construction industry redundancy fund coverage
- Portable sick leave and long service leave
- Site allowances in line with industry standards
- Travel allowance
- Living away from home allowance
- Cbus superannuation – one of the top performing funds for construction workers – as the default provider
- Income protection
AWU members work for the major suppliers of manufactured goods to the construction industry, such as steel, glass, aluminium, cement and concrete products.