Onshore Conventional Gas Exploration Must Continue

Tuesday 30th August 2016

 

 

The Australian Workers’ Union (AWU) today warned that the Victorian Government moratorium on new onshore conventional gas exploration and extraction for the next four years would threaten the industry, jobs and job creation, while deflecting investment from the state.

 

AWU Victorian Secretary Ben Davis said the ban announced on fracking was a sensible one in the face of community disquiet, but that new onshore conventional gas exploration and extraction was needed to keep major employers in Victoria.

 

“We know that there is world demand for gas, and we know the gas is there,” Mr Davis said.

 

“If new exploration and extraction is not allowed there will be an exodus of investment and jobs from Victoria. If anything, allowing new onshore conventional gas exploration and extraction reinforces the validity of the ban on fracking. The reserves are there and we do not need to pursue unconventional sources.”

 

The gas industry had been undertaking onshore conventional gas exploration and extraction for more than 50 years and would continue to do so if allowed.

 

“Given the declining state of our manufacturing sector, we need conventional gas to continue as an industry in its own right and as a reliable and affordable source of energy,” Mr Davis said.

 

“We cannot keep on closing doors and expect jobs to magically appear from nowhere.”