The AWU is firmly founded on the principle that we are at all times, and in all ways Stronger Together, and that every member, no matter their position, is due the same respect, attention and care from employers, fellow workers and the union.
In 2009, the ACTU Congress committed to the needs of all working Australians and their families with the following statement, to which the AWU Victorian Branch also commits.
Fairness, Equality and Opportunity in the Community
1. The AWU believes in a democratic Australia, which values all citizens and their aspirations.
2. The AWU believes in the right of all citizens to employment and a decent standard of living – to a fair share of the nation’s wealth.
3. The AWU believes that every Australian must have access to free, quality public health care and education, regardless of their socio-economic circumstances.
4. The AWU believes that families and individuals must be guaranteed decent minimum living standards through the social security and taxation systems.
5. The AWU believes that all Australians must have access to decent and affordable housing.
6. The AWU believes in the right of all Australians to a rich and rewarding life outside work including a secure and dignified retirement.
7. The AWU respects the fact that indigenous Australians are the original owners of our land, and that reconciliation between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians is a vital goal.
8. The AWU believes in a multi-cultural Australia.
9. The AWU believes in a sustainable environment.
10. The AWU is opposed to discrimination in all forms including that based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual preference and political beliefs.
11. The AWU believes that all Australians must be treated equally by the law and have access to legal representation as a right.
12. The AWU believes that governments have a central role in ensuring fairness, equality and opportunity throughout the community.
13. The AWU is committed to Australia’s participation in international cooperation to promote peace, security, human rights, labour standards and prosperity through fair trading arrangements.
Security and Fairness in the Workplace
14. The AWU believes that workplaces should be safe, secure, healthy and free of harassment, intimidation, violence and discrimination.
15. The AWU believes that workers should have a right to a decent wage and fair working conditions.
16. The AWU believes that all workers have a right to secure employment and protection against unfair dismissal or unfair treatment by the employer.
17. The AWU believes that workers should have the right to join and be represented by a union.
18. The AWU believes that all employees should have the right to bargain collectively.
19. The AWU believes that workplace union representatives should have rights enabling them to carry out their role.
20. The AWU believes that unions should have the right to recruit, organize and represent workers.
21. The AWU believes that workers should be consulted and informed about issues affecting their employment.
22. The AWU believes that Australian businesses and their executives have a responsibility to engage in legal and ethical conduct and environmentally sustainable practices at all times with employees, stakeholders and the community.
23. The AWU believes that working parents must have access to good quality, affordable child care.
24. The AWU believes that working parents have a right to employment standards that enable them to manage work and family.
25. The AWU believes that working parents must have the time and opportunity to form and maintain relationships with their children which foster the child’s development.
26. The AWU believes that officers and representatives of this and other unions should conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this Statement of Australian Union Values.